Seniors Rights Victoria advances the rights of older people and works to prevent elder abuse by advocating for particular policy positions and law reform. Policy and legal issues were explored at our 4th National Elder Abuse Conference in February 2016.
We also provide an online guide for lawyers, Assets for Care, which has information and tools for working with older people.
Submissions by Seniors Rights Victoria or Council on the Ageing Victoria (COTA) can be viewed here:
- Submission to the Victorian Government Inquiry into Homelessness (January 2020)
- Submission to the Royal Commission into Victoria’s Mental Health System (July 2019)
- Submission to the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety (May 2019)
- Submission to the Discussion Paper of the Australian Law Reform Commission on Elder Abuse (March 2017)
- Submission to the Australian Law Reform Commission Inquiry into elder abuse (August 2016)
- Submission on Victoria’s next 10 year mental health strategy (September 2015)
- Submission to the Royal Commission into Family Violence (June 2015)
- Submission to the Australian Law Reform Commission Inquiry into Equality, Capacity and Disability in Commonwealth law (June 2014) (Seniors Rights Victoria and Justice Connect)
- Out of the shadows: A discussion on law reform for the prevention of the financial abuse of older people (2012)
- Submission to the Victorian Parliamentary Inquiry into the Adequacy and Future Directions of Public Housing in Victoria (COTA) and Addendum by Seniors Rights Victoria to the Inquiry (January 2010)
- Final submission to the National Human Rights Consultation (June 2009)
- Submission to the VCAT Review (Seniors Rights Victoria and Homeless Persons’ Legal Clinic) (2009)
- Final Submission to the Victorian Parliamentary Inquiry into Powers of Attorney (August 2009)
Assets for Care: A Guide for Lawyers to Assist Older Clients at Risk of Financial Abuse
The Law Handbook Online – a practical guide to the law in Victoria
Law4Community – a new website from Fitzroy Legal Service providing legal information relevant to the community sector
Toolkit – a legal portal that helps you find other law-related sites and resources
Journal of Elder Abuse and Neglect – this quarterly, international journal is devoted to bringing to light the causes, effects, treatment, and prevention of the mistreatment of older people.