Financial abuse is the illegal or improper use of a person’s property, finances and other assets without their informed consent or where consent is obtained by fraud, manipulation or duress.
It usually occurs between an older person and a family member but can also occur with carers or friends.
Financial abuse may involve:
- A family member taking a loan with a promise of repayment but not paying the money back
- Stealing money or using an older person’s banking and credit card without consent
- Forcefully encouraging changes to a will or other legal document
- Sale of any property or assets without authority or consent
- Forced transfers of property
For free, confidential information on a situation you believe may involve financial abuse please contact Seniors Rights Victoria on 1300 368 821.
Our experienced people are available to offer support and assistance. We honour the trust shown to us and respect the choices our clients make.