Anyone can host an event or help raise awareness for WEAAD. In particular, we encourage councils and seniors groups to jump on board and get together on the day, even if only for a cuppa and a conversation. It can be as simple as an afternoon tea or walking through your community wearing purple (although you’ll need to rug up because it is June!)
Seniors Rights Victoria is supporting a public awareness campaign throughout the community by way of its public talks and by inviting all Victorian public libraries to include complimentary purple bookmarks in books borrowed by their customers. Look out for these at a library near year throughout the month of June.
Other event or action ideas are listed on our WEAAD event ideas page. Last minute ideas include:
- Hosting a morning or afternoon tea
- Hosting an information table at your organisation
- Create a public display board
- Plan a tree
- Yarn bomb a pole, bike racks or community seats in your local area – you can even pin information to the poles!
- Submit a letter to the editor of your local media outlet or community newsletter
- Utilising the hashtags #elderabuse #empowerolderpeople to promote key WEAAD messages:
- Elder Abuse: Everyone’s Business
- No excuse for elder abuse
- We can stop elder abuse